- The VA maintains an extensive enterprise supporting four regions, twenty VISNs and over thousand medical facilities, plus offices for veteran benefits, cemeteries and business services.
- Major deployments must be tested and implemented at all facilities and validated against thousands of medical and business applications that could be locally built and maintained, custom built, and/or COTS solutions.
- Example deployments consist of: backend systems supporting data standards; computer operating systems; work flow systems; nationally deployed applications; or even enterprise patch files
- Established a reusable directory of all known medical applications that are or could be impacted by the deployment to be used for acceptance testing
- Setup a working groups of business owners, stakeholders and SMEs to vet and communicate concerns and known issues with business owners document and track acceptance criteria
- Tracked deployment and communicate results to leadership
- Established plan to test all know applications, manage unknown applications and institute strategy to management applications that do not pass testing due to deployment obstacles or non-compliance of the application
- A managed deployment plan that quickly communicated issues and concerns to leadership and business owners and the ability to manage obstacles